Friday, July 18, 2014

Camp Nanowrimo July 2014- Mad Libs Pep Talk

This is one of the pep talks from Camp Nanowrimo for yesterday 7/17/14. Who doesn't like mad libs. Now I didn't cheat and read the story below. I am a believer in surprises. So I came up with my answers without reading a word. Interestingly enough, this exercise has helped me with my recent plot issue. I'm writing about a past event in my story right now and for the longest time I had 3 minor characters die in a battle a certain way. However, when I began writing the scene, the enchanters were warned by their mystical friends... so while they aren't dying the way I've imagined for like 2 months... they still need to die, sigh.

Here goes my Mad Libs Pep Talk


  1. An awesome superhero name- Onix Angel
  2. Adjective describing your main character- Dependable
  3. Your favorite snack-home made chocolate chip cookies
  4. The last verb your main character enacted- nweaken
  5. The manufacturer of your favorite snack- Betty Crocker
  6. The first piece of dialogue in your story that starts with 'You...'- "You know my parents never conceived after me, Citrine."
  7. Your current word count- 10,056
  8. Adjective describing your inner editor- overstimulated
  9. Adjective describing your best friend- sincere
  10. Your favorite supporting character in your Camp project- Citrine
  11. The last piece of dialogue in your story that ended with an exclamation point- "Please move aside so we can protect Malacite's Mistress the best we know how!"
  12. How much time you last spent writing- 30 minutes
  13. Your favorite mythological creature- griffin
  14. Your favorite author- Katherine Kerr
  15. Write a sentence beginning with the words "Once upon a time"- Once upon a time, a writer became trapped in the fairy tale and had to write her way out.
Once, there lived a writer, known throughout the lands as (1)Onix Angel. This writer was seized by inspiration one July, and struck out to tell the tale of one known only as "The (2)Dependable One."
The first two weeks were full of wonder. Fueled by (3)home made chocolate chip cookies, the writer generated conflicts like vast thunderstorms, and characters so real they jumped off the page only to (4)weaken you right in the face. (5)Betty Crocker, now aware of the crucial role they played in this writer's story-spinning, swelled with pride and told the writer, "(6)You know my parents never conceived after me, Citrine."
Alas, not all was so rosy. After hitting (7)10,056 words, the writer remembered their last pang of doubt. What if they became blocked once again? What if their story was silly? Maybe… maybe it would be better to stop. They looked into the mirror, and the face they saw seemed almost (8)overstimulated.
At the writer's darkest moment, a (9)sincere voice arose. "Hey, you can do this," it said. "If you don't, how will we ever find out what happens to (10)Citrine? I don't want to live in a world with that kind of empty hole. Don't stop now."
The writer nodded, saying "(11)Please move aside so we can protect Malacite's Mistress the best we know how! No matter how far away from my word-count goal I am, I promise to write for at least (12)30 minutes a day."
With that, a rainbow sprang across the sky like a (13)griffin racing toward the newest novel by (14)Katherine Kerr. The world seemed to hold its breath, waiting for the writer's next sentence. The writer smiled, took a deep breath, and wrote "(15)Once upon a time, a writer became trapped in the fairy tale and had to write her way out..."
A pep talk by you, with some help from Tim Kim, editorial director.

No comments:

Post a Comment